Your tooth enamel is constantly grappling with the things we eat and drink and the things we do to them. It is important that underlying causes of worn teeth be discovered and corrected early on by a dentist.
What Causes Worn Teeth?
Worn teeth may caused by either erosion or abrasion:
This refers to the wear of tooth enamel and is typically caused by acid in your diet.
- Citric acid is one of the worst offenders for tooth erosion and is found in citrus fruit (lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruit), soft drinks, citrus juices and certain candies.
- There are other harmful and corrosive acids which also cause tooth erosion and these are also contained in soft drinks as well as your daily cup of tea of coffee.
- People who suffer from bulimia expose their teeth to very strong stomach acids through continued vomiting
This is the wearing away of tooth enamel as a result of behavioural habits, such as:
- Teeth Grinding (Bruxism), often related to stress
- Brushing teeth too hard
- Biting your fingernails
- Chewing a ball-pen or pencil
- Wearing oral jewellery like lip and tongue studs
Treatment Options for worn Teeth
Scheduling an appointment with our dentists at Paramount Dental Sydney is a great way to learn more about how to protect your teeth from abrasion and erosion as well as begin a treatment plan to address any existing damage to your teeth and any underlying causes.
Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) is a behavioural poblem that requires treatment of the underlying cause of the behaviour. Click through to the Teeth Grinding (Bruxism) link below for more details.